Friday, September 18, 2026

My cigar box/pochade box fitted with a tripod mount

I made this pochade box around 20 years ago. I went to a nearby cigar store and probably paid a few dollars for the empty box. I made some basic alterations to it, using some tools that I had on hand and converted it into a fully functioning pochade box.
 
At the time I was still using oil paint, so this little paint box could work for using either medium. Now I have just been using watercolor. The maximum paper or canvas size is only 8 x 6 inches, unless I want to strap a slightly bigger piece around the top side. It's a great little box for small painting and sketching. I can sit with it in on my lap or on a table. The small plastic water containers are held in place with magnets I glued on. The box has plenty of room to carry other supplies I might need as well. Maybe not as sophisticated like a store bought box, but there is a certain satisfaction in with making it myself using simple tools.

The other day I added a tripod mount to the bottom of the box. Now when mount on a tripod, it becomes more versatile for standing as well as sitting. Some wood was added to the bottom of the box so I could fit a t-nut into it. I had an extra tripod mount adapter from another kit, which worked out well.





















I also purchased an inexpensive, small backpack which is just the right fit for the cigar box. Not too big and it's really lightweight. The size is 15 x 10 inches and widens to 4 inches. It allows ample room for other supplies. The tripod is compact and light also. Can't wait to go out and use it.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments:

Blue Skies Ahead

My cigar box/pochade box fitted with a tripod mount

I made this pochade box around 20 years ago. I went to a nearby cigar store and probably paid a few dollars for the empty box. I made some b...